Glorifying the Mundane

Glorifying the Mundane does exactly what it says. You might hear about baby carrots and milkshakes. You might hear about the pungent guy on the subway. I can only promise that the absurdity will be ordinary, quintessential and tempered with my acerbic observations.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Update From The Beach

I'm out at the pink castle today. The pink castle is where Grandma Tina lives. A lot of authentic Long Islanders live here too. After lunch today I went to the beach and felt very unusual because of my pale skin and lack of a loud family. I saw a young pair arrive and settle very close to my spot. The girl was talking fairly loudly on her cell phone, but I managed to concentrate mainly on my novel, The Devil Wears Prada, and only marginally on her conversation. She was sorry she had missed someone's birthday, etc., etc. She had a very scratchy sultry voice. Many long island women do. Next to her, the guy (early 20's), was not thin and smoked a cigar. At first I thought they were a couple, but later I thought they could just have easily been brother and sister. A mom-like person arrived along with several other adults over the age of 40. When a blond woman with a very pink headband and matching swimsuit (50ish in age) shifted her chair to face the sun and me, I was forced to consider my relocation options. She was unbelievably loud. Most long islanders should really consider voice training as a career option; they are sooooo loud. (No offense meant, Sara Yaz.) They could really teach quiet actors to use their diaphragms.

I always feel a bit surreal when I'm out at the pink castle beach house. I feel incredibly single, even though I'm not any more single than I am normally. Family situations tend to heighten my present conditions and general outlook on life. I have to scrounge up joyful stories and interesting job tidbits. I had a glimpse of my dad's sandaled feet today. I think I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: He has had his big toenails surgically removed. It is disgusting. His shriveled raw and ragged naked big toes are perhaps one of the most repulsive things a spoiled rich American might have to view in any given Summer.

Last night I ate 3 pecan rolls, from a tray of 8 pecan cinnamon rolls for 79cents. I felt slightly guilty, but mostly I relished them for four reasons. 1) It was midnight. 2) There was no brown rice available. 3) I used to eat them all the time before the age of 20. I purchased them from Piggly Wiggly. 4) They tasted delicious despite the slightly metallic taste. Today I ate: poached salmon with onions, roasted lamb, italian sausage, prosciutto, mozzerella with tomato, broccoli rabe, red wine, pink bubbly wine, white wine, one sliver zucchini, red peppers, grilled onions, pickled onions, tuna, dark green salad, warm gooey baked brie, water, yellow pepper, and now I have to sign off to see what's for dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home